Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of CO. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of CO.
CO alarms should be installed in the hallways outside each bedroom area.
Follow the manufacturer's instructions for placement and mounting height.
Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
Test CO alarms once a month just like smoke alarms. It is recommended to replace CO alarms after 5 years.
If the CO alarm sounds, in East Brunswick call 732-390-6300. An East Brunswick fire company will respond. They will check your home with meters to see if there are unsafe levels of CO.
Wait outside or by an open window for the fire department.
Don't hesitate to call the fire department. Remember you will not see or smell anything. CO is colorless and odorless.
If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engines indoors, even if the garage doors are open.
The very young and the very old can be more severely affected by lower concentrations of CO than healthy adults would be.
A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.