College football season begins with Rutgers University.
The Scarlet Knights travel to Fresno State to open the season on Thursday night, Aug. 29. Kickoff is at 10:30 p.m. and the game will air live on ESPNU.
From there, the Scarlet Knights return home for a season that will see the retirement of Eric LeGrand's number 52 on Sept. 14; a rematch of last year’s big win over Arkansas, this year at home on Sept. 21; a trip to defending conference champion and preseason top 10 team, Louisville on Oct. 10; and the team’s only season in the American Athletic Conference, one Rutgers hopes ends in the program’s first outright conference championship and trip to BCS bowl.
Rutgers returns 10 starters from last year’s 9-4 team. A full guide to the season can be found here.
Because we are Patch, we know you’re looking for a local connection to the state’s only NCAA Division I FBS program. Here's a list of the players on the team who hail from Middlesex County, according to the roster found on scarletknights.com:
- Nadir Barnwell, freshman defensive back (Piscataway)
- Leonte Carroo, sophomore wide receiver (Edison)
- Phil Lewis, senior wide receiver (Metuchen)
- David Milewski, junior defensive end (Sayreville)
- Dorian Miller, freshman offensive lineman (Metuchen)
- Sheldon Royster, sophomore defensive back (Woodbridge)
- Daryl Stephenson, sophomore defensive lineman (Sayreville)
- Delon Stephenson, freshman defensive back (Sayreville)
- Brian Stonkus, freshman offensive lineman (South Brunswick)
- T.J. Taylor, freshman safety (South Brunswick)
- Jevon Tyree, freshman cornerback (South Brunswick)